Project HOPE responds to natural disasters and emergency health crises around the world. Our emergency response strategy supports local health systems and facilities with immediate and long-term relief.
In the event of a disaster, we deploy a multi-disciplinary assessment team to coordinate with the Ministry of Health and in-country partners. The team begins relief efforts and identifies gaps in health service delivery and health infrastructure. Based on these findings, we recruit teams of expert volunteers with specific medical backgrounds, and procure needed medical treatments and equipment. Our targeted response complements local efforts and ensures we are best meeting the health needs of those affected or displaced.
Over the past decade, HOPE has responded to some of the largest natural disasters and health crises including:
- Hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Maria in which Project HOPE provided health services to 7,221 patients and health education to 2,668 people (Read about HOPE's responses to hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Maria)
- Syrian Refugee Crisis in Macedonia where volunteers provided health services to more than 7,300 refugees at transit centers
- 2016 Hurricane Matthew in Haiti where volunteers assisted with maternal and child health services and responded to the cholera outbreak, $6.9M in medicines and equipment were delivered and HOPE supported the establishment of a Cholera Treatment Center
- 2015 Earthquakes in Nepal where 15 medical volunteers helped care for 1,522 patients in the immediate aftermath of the earthquakes and more than $15.8 million of urgently needed medicines and supplies were delivered that benefited 231,976 patients
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak in Sierra Leone where HOPE shipped and distributed $2.2M in consumables and personal protective equipment
- 2013 Typhoon Haiyan in Philippines where more than 70 volunteers provided health services and $16M in medicines and equipment were delivered
- 2010 Earthquake in Haiti where more than 200 HOPE medical volunteers provided care and $60M in medicines and equipment were delivered
Get news from the field and updates on how your donations are being put to work.
Read and share stories about Project HOPE with your personal network.