Welcome to Project HOPE's Media Room, where you'll find media resources and information about programs across the globe.
Sr. Director of Public Engagement
+1 (301) 222-7381
Our Leaders & Experts
Request an interview from one of our leaders or issue experts, or learn more about them on our website:
- Rabih Torbay, President and Chief Executive Officer
- Chris Skopec, Executive Vice President
- Thomas Kenyon, M.D., M.P.H., Chief Health Officer
- Gail R. Wilensky, Ph.D., Senior Fellow
- See All Technical Experts
HOPE in the News
- Iota devastates Nicaragua and Honduras; death toll rises
November 18, 2020 – Fox News
Hurricanes Eta and Iota are causing increased COVID-19 infections across the displaced populations. Fox News highlights how Project HOPE is responding and addressing additional long-term impacts such as other infectious diseases increasing. “This is a crisis of a level that we haven’t seen before,” said Andrea Dunne-Sosa, Project HOPE’s Regional Director for the Americas.
- Help Central America hurricane victims
November 17, 2020 – CNN
Hurricane Iota hit Central America as a Category 4 storm only two weeks after Hurricane Eta devastated countries such as Nicaragua, Honduras and Guatemala. CNN spotlights non-profit emergency relief efforts for communities affected by the hurricanes, including Project HOPE.
- Covid vaccine will test Biden’s global leadership
November 12, 2020 – POLITICO
The deep freeze required for Pfizer’s new coronavirus vaccine presents global obstacles. Dr. Tom Kenyon said that the global community also has to be educated and ready to receive the vaccine, and there must be enough health care workers to administer it – both of which can pose potential additional roadblocks.
- Utah declares state of emergency and orders residents to mask up amid Covid-19 case surge
November 9, 2020 – NBC News
As Pfizer raised hope for a new coronavirus vaccine, NBC News turned to Dr. Tom Kenyon to discuss who should receive the vaccine first – identifying doctors, nurses and frontline workers. That’s just the beginning as Dr. Kenyon said, “It will take time, but to bring this pandemic to an end will require us all to unite and be vaccinated.”
- Elliott Erwitt: ‘Photography is pretty simple. You just react to what you see’
November 9, 2020 – The Guardian
Elliott Erwitt has photographed some of the most notable moments of modern history. Now, he teamed up with the Project HOPE and philanthropy firm Phil Ropy for a campaign that turns one of Erwitt’s photographs into a digital collectible card to raise awareness about providing personal protective equipment to healthcare workers around the world.
- Covid set to cause 400,000 surge in TB deaths as medics diverted
November 8, 2020 – The Guardian
Millions of missed diagnoses will add to global pandemic toll, warns WHO study. Dr. Tom Kenyon discusses the deaths that will be caused indirectly by COVID-19: “It was obviously crucial that we tackle the pandemic but we cannot forget that we have other killers in our midst. We are going to have to be innovative in addressing them.”
- For second straight day, U.S. Covid cases reach new high
October 23, 2020 – NBC News
The U.S. is setting daily records for coronavirus cases, and pandemic fatigue is setting in. Dr. Tom Kenyon advises that it’s not too late for us to change the course of the pandemic by following simple safety precautions.
- 3 Ways to Ensure Your Crisis Management and Communication Plans Will Work
October 12, 2020 – Forbes
What effect has the coronavirus crisis had in convincing companies to prepare for the next crisis — or how to survive this ongoing national public health emergency? Rabih Torbay, President and CEO of Project HOPE, shared how to create and implement an effective crisis plan.
- Health Care Workers in Remote Regions Get Access to Free Online Coronavirus Training
September 23, 2020 – ABC7’s The Denver Channel
Project HOPE was already on the ground in Wuhan, China when the initial COVID-19 outbreak occurred. As the virus started spreading, HOPE realized they not only needed more people to be trained, but they needed to reach more people around the world.
- Project HOPE and how you can support relief efforts in Lebanon
August 14, 2020 – WJLA’s Good Morning Washington
It’s been 10 days since two explosions devastated the capital of Lebanon. Rabih Torbay, President and CEO of Project HOPE, just returned from Beirut on an emergency response mission. He shared how you can help relief efforts.
- Everything You Need to Protect Yourself (and Others) From COVID-19 on Campus
August 12, 2020 – New York Magazine
We spoke with doctors, public-health experts, and education professionals to find out exactly what college kids will need to protect themselves — and others — on campus. Project HOPE’s Tom Cotter weighs in.
- In Beirut, humanitarian responders confront layers of disaster
August 10, 2020 – Devex
The humanitarian response to the deadly explosion in Beirut last week is complicated by preexisting economic instability and rising levels of food insecurity in Lebanon. Project HOPE is responding a bit differently, as “large teams on a moment’s notice is not really practical anymore.”
- Europe Sees Rise in COVID-19 After Reopening
August 6, 2020 – Healthline
“Many countries seeing an uptick in cases likely reopened much too soon, and many individuals relaxed their efforts to follow public health recommendations,” Chris Skopec said. “But this is not unique to Europe, as evidenced by case numbers in the U.S., Australia, Japan, and other countries.”
- Houston, Miami, other cities face mounting health care worker shortages as infections climb
July 25, 2020 – The Washington Post
At Harris Health System in Houston, 162 staff members — including more than 50 nurses — are quarantined, either because they tested positive or are awaiting results. Harris Health turned to the state and the international nonprofit Project HOPE for resources.
- 5 Ways You Can Support Healthcare Workers on the Front Lines of COVID-19
July 19, 2020 – Popsugar
Healthcare workers are always in need of personal protective equipment. Several organizations accept monetary donations that help get frontline healthcare professionals necessary equipment, including Project HOPE.
- Hundreds of nurses pour into Texas to help fight second COVID surge
July 10, 2020 – The Houston Chronicle
Harris Health System is working with a temp agency but has also turned to nonprofit Project HOPE, which provides medical professionals from across the country to places facing medical crises.
- Avril Lavigne And Sarah McLachlan Both Perform During Virtual Canada Day Celebrations
July 1, 2020 – Entertainment Tonight Canada
The Canadian songstress Avril Lavigne performed her new hit “We Are Warriors” which was released to support Project HOPE and its COVID-19 relief efforts. Lavigne first released the song at the end of April and collaborated with nurses, doctors and more for the official music video.
- How to Watch the ‘Lord of the Rings’ Reunion
May 30, 2020 – Lifehacker
In each episode of ‘Reunited Apart’, Josh Gad raises money for a COVID-19-related charity. Previous organizations have included Project HOPE, a global health and humanitarian relief organization.
- How I’m Living How: Josh Gad, Actor, Writer and Producer
May 19, 2020 – The Hollywood Reporter
The star, who is in preproduction on multiple projects and recording voice work from home, talks virtual pitch meetings, overhauling his carefully planned shooting schedule and launching web series ‘Reunited Apart.’
- Thomas Wilson Reprises ‘Back to the Future’ Villain Biff Tannen
May 14, 2020 – The Hollywood Reporter
The character called in to a supplemental episode of Josh Gad’s ‘Reunited Apart’ for a surprise appearance.
- Nurses Day: How to honor the health care workers
May 12, 2020 – CNN
International Nurses Day is celebrated May 12, marking the birthday of Florence Nightingale. Nurses are at the forefront of fighting the coronavirus pandemic. So how can you help?
- The Back To The Future Reunion Is Wildly Entertaining And For A Great Cause
May 11, 2020 – GameSpot
Josh Gad’s new series is a fundraiser for Project HOPE, which delivers masks and protective equipment to health workers on the front line of the pandemic.
- Back to the Future cast reunite from coronavirus quarantine to relive classic moments
May 11, 2020 – USA Today
The stars of the hit ’80s film series reunited virtually on Monday — nearly 35 years since the first film hit theaters — to reminisce while raising money for Project HOPE’s coronavirus relief efforts.
- Back to the Future Cast Reunites for Josh Gad’s Retro Series Fundraiser
May 11, 2020 – The Hollywood Reporter
The cast of Back to the Future reunited for an online video, a second in a series of fundraising projects spearheaded by Josh Gad, dubbed Reunited Apart.
- Back To The Future cast members getting back together for Josh Gad’s ‘Reunited Apart’ YouTube series
May 6, 2020 – NY Daily News
Josh Gad, best-known as the voice of Olaf the snowman in Frozen, has been using the Reunited Apart episodes as an effort to raise money for a COVID-19 charity. The Back To The Future special will support Project HOPE.
- Avril Lavigne honoring frontline workers with new music video ‘We Are Warriors’
May 1, 2020 – CNN
Avril Lavigne re-recorded her single “Warrior” off her Head Above Water album, and net proceeds from the song and new music video go to Project HOPE, which is providing support to health care workers around the world.
- Here’s How Celebs Are Helping Out During the Coronavirus Pandemic
May 1, 2020 – Billboard
Ricky Martin has launched a new campaign to help health care workers save lives across the globe through the nonprofit organization Project HOPE.
- Sacha Baron Cohen and Isla Fisher send planeload of PPE to UK frontline workers
April 29, 2020 – Page Six
Sacha Baron Cohen and Isla Fisher quietly partnered with Salesforce mogul Marc Benioff to donate a planeload of PPE supplies to front-line medical workers in the UK, and Cohen is also working with Project HOPE in the US..
- Did Trump ship 17 tons of ‘American’ masks and medical supplies to China?
April 22, 2020 – Washington Post
These were actually donations by private charities and public companies for Project HOPE, an international health-care organization that has been operating in Wuhan for a quarter-century and helped establish a nursing school there.
- Avril Lavigne Announces New Re-Recorded Single ‘We Are Warriors’ To Honour ‘Heroic’ Frontline Workers
April 22, 2020 – msn.com
Avril Lavigne reveals she’ll be donating profits from the single to Project Hope, “an incredible organization that is on the front lines keeping doctors and medical staff safe all over the world.”
- Ricky Martin launches campaign to keep health workers safe amid coronavirus
March 23, 2020 – Billboard
Puerto Rican superstar Ricky Martin launched a campaign to help health care workers save lives across the globe, in partnership with Project HOPE.
- Coronavirus: Africa has few cases so far but ‘it’s just a matter of time’ before major outbreak
March 13, 2020 – South China Morning Post and POLITICO
Project HOPE chief health officer and former director of US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) Center for Global Health Thomas Kenyon discussed the threat Africa faces from coronavirus.
- Coronavirus coverage elbows aside disease-awareness pushes
March 9, 2020 – MM&M
With many health awareness efforts in March, COVID-19 still dominated headlines. Cinira Baldi, VP and chief communications officer at Project HOPE, talked with MM&M about what that means for non-profit messaging strategies.
- So you’ve been asked to self-quarantine. Here’s what you should know.
March 9, 2020 – Washington Post
Project HOPE director of emergency response and preparedness Tom Cotter advises on how to prepare for a quarantine.
- China coronavirus public health response was ‘unprecedented’ in scale: Expert
March 4, 2020 – Fox Business
Project HOPE executive vice president Chris Skopec discusses Project HOPE’s efforts to fight coronavirus on the ground in China.
- Mike Pompeo and Alex Azar: Our coronavirus response is protecting Americans
February 11, 2020 – USA Today
While the State Department managed the logistics, the donations themselves were provided by American organizations and coordinated by a nongovernmental organization called Project HOPE
- Coronavirus: UPS airlifts masks and protective equipment
January 31, 2020 – The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
UPS is airlifting supplies of respirator masks and protective gear to Project HOPE’s team in China for distribution to healthcare workers amid the coronavirus outbreak.