Project HOPE delivers essential medicines and supplies, health expertise and medical training to save lives around the world — and our volunteers are key to our work.
Volunteer with Project HOPE
Project HOPE delivers essential medicines and supplies, health expertise and medical training to respond to disaster, prevent disease, promote wellness and save lives around the world. When you volunteer with Project HOPE, you help make our lifesaving work around the globe possible.
Since our founding in 1958, volunteers have remained central to Project HOPE’s mission as the “People-to-People Health Foundation.” Project HOPE volunteers are a select group of subject matter experts representing diverse specialties.
Meeting the Real Need
Project HOPE volunteers work to support our headquarters, field staff, strategic partners and communities in underserved regions to ensure that health workers have the knowledge, tools and support systems needed to achieve better health outcomes.
We work at the epicenter of today’s greatest health challenges, focused on Maternal, Neonatal and Child Health, Disasters and Health Crises, Infectious Diseases, Noncommunicable Diseases, and Health Policy.
Project HOPE volunteers serve to:
- Build Capacity of health care workers and health systems
- Improve Quality of health care and global health programs
- Provide Care during emergencies and health crises
- Support Operations through other expertise such as information technology, monitoring and evaluation, fundraising and communications.
Being a responder myself, I think it really gets to the heart of humanity, of who we are as human beings, reaching out to people in what may be the most desperate or difficult hour of their life.
Benefits of Volunteering with HOPE
“It was a very enriching experience. People hugged me and cried thanking us for what we were doing. I felt how rewarding it is to give a hand, to help others in need. It is a life-changing experience. Thank you for letting me be part of this! Staff was absolutely amazing!”
Career: Grow your professional network and gain global competence in your field. Learn how to perform your role in a new environment and with a different array of resources.
Increase Cultural Competence: Take this opportunity to learn about the culture and norms of a new community and to increase your cultural sensitivity and openness. You may even learn a new language!
Sense of Purpose: Find new meaning in your life by helping others. Volunteering can help put your life and worries into perspective and give you a new found excitement for life!
Recognition: Project HOPE recognizes volunteers who have gone above and beyond their assigned role; exhibit strong leadership skills; excel in teamwork; serve with an attitude of flexibility, cultural immersion, and positivity; and are an ambassador for Project HOPE during and after their service.
Become a HOPE Alumnus: Volunteers who return from serving with Project HOPE receive the benefits of joining our Alumni Association which includes a vast network of professionals and humanitarians for you to connect with as you search for a professional mentor, job opportunities, and other ways to serve.
Project HOPE ensures volunteers are equipped with expectations, detailed scope of work, and regular communication with our local in-country staff and partners prior to their service. Our team will work through the Volunteer Checklist with the volunteer to ensure they are well-prepared. Volunteers will also receive a welcome packet with branded t-shirts, scrubs, hat, and nametag to wear during their service.
“One of the best experiences ever. I want to thank you again for all that you offer us. To me, one of the best things was that I integrated into the culture and environment really quickly and I really liked it. I loved the team.”
Health and Safety
“This experience is one I will hold in my heart for the rest of my life. I have made friends who will be part of my life hence forward. I plan to continue to partner with Project HOPE for years to come. I have been blessed to be part of the Project HOPE team. Thank you.”
Ensuring the health, safety, and security of our volunteers is our top priority.
- There will be a Project HOPE staff member in-country serving as the volunteer’s main point of contact to orient them in their role and the country, assist in the case of an emergency, and be a resource for any questions or concerns.
- Prior to departure, volunteers are required to have their primary care physician sign a medical release form attesting that they are in good health both physically and mentally.
- All volunteers are strongly encouraged to comply with the health guidelines outlined by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for their country of destination.
- Volunteers from the US are recommended to register with the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) which is a free service to register a trip with the US Embassy or Consulate. The Embassy will send the volunteer communication updates about safety conditions in the country and allow for family and friends to stay in touch with the volunteer in case of an emergency.
- Project HOPE provides international medical evacuation assistance to volunteers on active assignment.
Click “Apply Now” to browse current volunteer opportunities and apply to those that match your interest and skillset. You can also choose to apply to the “General Volunteer Database” opportunity where your application will remain on file and allow us to search for your specialty when new opportunities arise.
Stay in touch with our team, as well as former and current volunteers! Join our Project HOPE Volunteers Facebook community.
Learn more about our Colleagues in Global Health group!
Mandy Luety, Senior Director of Human Resources and Administration
Email us: [email protected]
Call us: 540-837-2100